Having a plan broke me out of that stall moment. I added inches to the mock up, did another, and it fit. Feeling better I cut it out of my coutil. Sewed it together and did a few hold up to me tests. During one of those I realized the gussets were not shaped right. Despite pulling the corset closed to my body they had extra bunchy material, but I was getting stress pulls at the top of them. I tore them out which is actually a pain in the butt because its an elastic material. I re-cut them by making them longer but skinnier and lengthened the gusset, which resolved a lot of the problems. But I was still grumbly about the fit. Every time I tried to pull it to check the fit it would collapse around the waist area. And why was it suddenly such a pain to try and close it, to where I was doubting it would fit? Oh yea...mock up was in cotton muslin, final is coutil. One has a bit of stretch, the other doesn't... FUDGE!!!!!!!! This is where is started to stall out again. I added some boning to help with the collapsing but still couldn't tell if it was to small. I decided the only way to know at this point was to try and close it for real. This corset closes with hooks and eyes instead of lacing closed. Problem is I don't have enough heavy duty ones. So I have to wait until I go to town. Complete and utter stall out.
I tried to go onto another project and drafted a pattern for the kirtle top. But I couldn't bring myself to cut it out after what feels like a fail with the corset.
So I started another project. I needed something that I knew I could do with no problems. Instant gratification type project. So I pulled out my hat for the Explorer gown. The first time I wore it, it looked like the picture to the Right. Wasn't completely happy with it but it worked well enough with the simplicity of the gown. This may not have been the best project to work on in the state of mind I was in. If I had difficulty with whether or not to add trim to the waistcoat, I am sure you can imagine how adding trims and feather and flowers pretty much drove me bat shit crazy.
But after SEVERAL hours, an emptying of my millinery drawer, a raiding of my ribbon drawer and many different ideas later, I am pretty happy with what I came up with.